Enjoy these scones with coffee. A rich, tender texture carries the combination of sweet coconut, spicy cinnamon and ginger perfectly.
Hands-on Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Makes: 8 scones
2 ½ cups Simply Milled ™ Organic or Traditional All-Purpose Flour
⅓ cup shredded coconut
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp each ground cinnamon and ginger
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp each ground cloves and cardamom
½ cup cold butter, cubed
¾ cup 18% light cream (approx.)
2 tbsp shredded coconut
1 tbsp turbinado sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Whisk together flour, coconut, granulated sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, salt, cloves and cardamom.
2. Cut in butter with pastry blender to make coarse crumbs.
3. Whisk cream with egg; stir into flour mixture with fork until ragged dough forms.
4. Press into ½-inch thick round; cut into 8 wedges. Place 2 inches apart on parchment paper–lined baking sheet.
5. Topping: Brush with cream and sprinkle with coconut and sugar.
6. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and baked. Let cool on rack.
• Replace cloves with ground allspice if desired.
• Add ¼ cup chopped dried fruit, such as apricots, or chopped toasted almonds to scones.