Popular in Italy, this flat, oven-baked bread is similar to pizza crust – but it has a much fluffier texture. Toppings such as olive oil, Gruyere cheese and rosemary add a savory flavor and aroma.
Hands-on Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Makes: 12 servings
3 cups Simply Milled Organic ™ or Traditional All-Purpose Flour
1 tbsp granulated sugar
2 ¼ tsp instant yeast
1 ¼ tsp salt
1 ⅔ cups warm water
3 tbsp olive oil, divided
4 tsp chopped fresh rosemary, divided
1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
Flaked sea salt
1. Whisk together flour, sugar, yeast and salt.
2. Whisk together water, 2 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp of the rosemary. Stir into flour mixture to make ragged dough. Stir in cheese.
3. Spread dough on well-greased 15- x 10-inch rimmed baking sheet. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°F.
4. Poke holes all over dough using back of wooden spoon. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with remaining rosemary, and salt. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
5. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
• Top with additional Gruyere or grated Parmesan cheese if desired.