Fried chicken is the ultimate in home comfort food – and so easy to make. Top with chili-infused honey for a tasty and spicy kick.
Hands-on Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 35 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
8 pieces bone-in skin-on chicken (such as thighs, legs or breasts)
2 cups buttermilk
1 ¼ tsp salt, divided
1 ¼ tsp garlic powder, divided
½ tsp pepper
1 ½ cups Simply Milled™ Organic or Traditional All-Purpose Flour
2 tsp each dried parsley and oregano
½ tsp paprika
Pinch each dry mustard and cayenne pepper
Vegetable oil, for frying
¼ cup liquid honey
½ Thai or bird’s chili pepper, thinly sliced
1. Pat chicken dry with paper towel. In shallow dish, whisk together buttermilk, ¾ tsp each salt and garlic powder, and pepper. Add chicken; refrigerate for 2 hours or up to overnight.
2. Shake together flour, parsley, oregano, paprika, mustard, cayenne, and remaining salt and garlic powder in resealable bag. Add two pieces of chicken; shake well to coat. Repeat with remaining chicken.
3. Heat enough oil in deep skillet or Dutch oven to come 3 inches up side of pan; heat to 310°F.
4. Fry chicken in batches for 9 to 11 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Drain on paper towel–lined plate.
5. Hot Honey: Heat honey with chilies in saucepan set over medium heat. Drizzle over chicken.
• Strain used oil and store in a clean glass jar for up to 2 weeks for the next batch of fried chicken or French fries.